Tuesday, April 28, 2009

none at all, a little , way too much



Okay I cant help but talk about rain. 2 months ago I was wondering if we would ever see the fruits of our labor due to the severe drought, frequent frosts and highwind. But then it finally rained . Everything started growing and as you can see by the picture of one of our March harvests , I was very grateful and all the CSA members were happy.

We all felt happy and hopeful when the rain came. So then we planted corn and potatoes on valentines day. It rained that night and up came the corn and the potatoes. Then no rain for 10 days then HIgh winds and just as the corn came to 12 inches high it frosted. Now if it had rained the day before the frost the corn would have been fine but without moisture we lost most of the corn, squash and tomatoes. So we planted again ,it rained and up came the new corn ,some of the sqwuash recovered and the tomatoes are coming along. The beans are up too and all is well....
i hope
Last weeks share was good as usual. I am hoping there will be a good share this week but.... now its rained alot.
As most of you know the main farm is on Harbert road in Kurten about 18 miles from town. My father and mother in law keep thier cows out there so they keep on eye on things for me when I can not get out there daily. My father in law said the garden was still there just a little wet. So today I decided to go out to have a look and pick some veggies for todays shares. Well the creek has done rose!!!! things were wet enough yesterday but last night and this morning we got a total of 5 inches of rain on top of the 6 or so we have had in the last week. We never could make it to the farm because most every pond , tank and creek was over its banks and several bridges were closed between Bryan and Normangee. Maybe I need to get a boat.... Hmm I wonder if the IRs will count that as a farm expense.....
Well luckily my backyard garden has faired well with all this rain(but not as much as Kurten) and we were able to make shares for everyone.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

ttammylynn said...

The only things I am picking right now are onions, carrots, herbs, flowers, a few tomatoes, a few baby potatoes and strawberries.
My corn(red, yellow and mini, but it is supposed to be compatible) is in raised beds and it is about 6 inches tall. I have a few kinds of squash, I have a few different kinds of tomatoes,cucumbers, bell peppers, green beans, canteloupe and watermelon. If the rain would let up, I could weed and give everything some fertilizer(between the rows is pretty muddy so it is hard to work in the beds). I had some old luffa seeds that sprouted in my flowerbed(I'm so happy). My peaches lost their blooms due to the frost, but I think I will have some raspberries, blueberries, pears, figs, oranges and hopefully pomegranites, dewberries, mulberries and seedless grapes(too soon to tell). I saw a bunch of ladybugs today while I was inspecting everything. My gardens are in beds or pots. I have a bunch of stuff that still needs to get in the ground(more tomatoes, peppers and some malabar spinach), perhaps tomorrow, lol.
Next year, I want to get some compost on my beds...this year I was in too big a hurry, it was weedeat, till, form into raised rows and plant. At least I got some green manure out of the snow peas. Plus, I do everything myself so I have to wait until I have time and energy, which isn't often lately.
BTW, we get Wickson creek water here because we are outside city limits of B-CS, CS address, Bryan utilities, Wickson water, Bryan schools, Bryan taxes...it gets confusing.

Unknown said...

What a great idea you're bringing to area!!!

--
Jenifer
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems</a