Friday, September 11, 2009

Soil seeds and water

Summer vacation is over and we are all back doing what we are supposed to do . Me in the garden and the kids in school. It feels good to back in the old routine. ....





As many of you know I do no enjoy the long hot summers of Texas and given the oppurtunity I head for New England when Icant stand it anymore.When I left in July for the East Coast it was 104 degrees and everything looked like it would burn up at any second. Prior to leaving Tammy and I went out to the farm , weeded, hoed and trimmed back all the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants . We were hoping with the regular watering of my two new Student workers .. John and Michael that the tomato, pepper and eggplants would make it throught until the weather cooled some and the rain came.


Now there is always a price to pay when you leave things untended and to be sure when we got home there were lots of tall weed in both the test garden and the farm from the little rain and the watering that went on while I was gone .We spent the last 2- 3 weeks getting rid of lots of weeds and preparing the soil for the fall crops ..... that was alot of work espeicially in 100degree weather.

The picture to the left is what the backyard garden looked like when I came home.


I am happy to say because of the faithful work of Micheal and John we have managed to carry 20 tomato plants, 12 pepper plants and 10 eggplants through the summer . We should have lots of cherry tomatoes to eat about mid october .
We have been blessed with gentle rain over the last few weeks and despite the continuing heat many of the seeds we have planted have started to sprout. What is more special is the plants that are popping up as a result of me letting the plants go to seed over the summer. So far I have cucumber, watermelon, arugula , beans , long beans and basil sprouting up all over the gardens . I pull most of them but the ones that have started in a good spot I let grow . These plants are special because they would not be here if it were not for the rain . Watering alone does not seem to make these plants sprout it takes gentle rain. Amazing....
Well there is a break in the rain and I am heading out to put some more seeds in the ground and take some more pictures .... Have a great week

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Vicki for the posts! For anyone who's thinking about joining, I've been a member since last March. During the spring, I enjoyed the best lettuce ever! I have to say that I love the quality and variety of fresh veggies and herbs. Each week, I look forward to picking up my veggies. This will be my first fall in the CSA, but I've been waiting all summer for good vegetables.