Saturday, June 21, 2008

6 amazing weeks













Taking pictures of what is going on in your garden really helps you realize what you have accomplished in a short period of time. We started to till the ground up at our farm site for our early planting of potatoes and broccoli and kale in mid febuary . In late march and early april we started putting our tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers , watermelons cantelpes and squash plants in the ground. By late april we started harvesting a little squash ,onions and radishes. Then came the first week of may with a lot of squash and the beginning potato harvest yielding over 75 lbs . The garden has produced over 500lbs of produce in the last 6 weeks. I am totally amazed.


Last week I was pretty stressed out about the heat and the drying wind . I was sure my plants were going to shrivel up and go away. We watered every 3 days and most everything has made it. Only the pickling cucmbers seemed to suffer but even they are making a rebound .

Today was a great day at the market and my csa members got a heavy share this week. There was tomatoes, squashes, cucmbers eggplants and peppers. I was feeling pretty blessed. but i was overwhelmed when i got out to the big garden on harbert road and found that even though i had picked tomatoes and cucmbers yesterday morning there were lots more this evening. To make things even better as I was giving all the plants a drink I noticed lots of watermelons and cantelopes that I am sure were not there a week ago. They have grown so fast that these two melons took up residence in the last 10 days under the wheelbarrow. One is a black diamond and the other a carlolina cross. There are watermelon vines everywhere. I am hoping that everyone will get a nice cantelope or 2in thier basket next week.


1 comment:

hmd said...

What an amazing bounty. And it all tastes so good! That spaghetti squash I picked up from you last week was fabulous and you're the first person I go to for basil.

Congrats on a successful harvest and CSA!