Thursday, June 5, 2008

the gift of a garden.

Im not sure what I should compliment first, my husband or my tiller. I think I will start with the tiller.

For the last couple of years I had been getting by with my old small tiller and a hoe. That worked great until we had the big expansion out to the land in Kurten. As you can imagine breaking up pasture land with a tiller made for a backyard garden was not fun. I was determined to take things to a bigger level. So with perserverence and some help from my father in law with the tractor I got the soil broken up. The tractor only breaks it up in rough pieces so then I would go back over it with the little tiller. Lots of time for little results. I started my search for a big tiller and almost got a really nice used Troybuilt horse from Ike's for a great price. Problem was that my accountant(my husband ) was in Australia when I found it and by the time I got the okay it was gone. I was seriously disapointed because they have stopped making them so If you know anyone with a used Troybuilt Horse that is selling let me know. Well my husband who hates to see me disapointed started searching for tillers and the day before my birthday we went to Sears and picked up my new tiller. Now this tiller may not be a Horse but, it is the Cadillac of its kind. The tines go forward or reverse and it is self propelling. It made fast work of the 1/4 acre that needed to be tilled for purple hulled peas and pintos.

Often times I have heard it said that God knows our hopes and dreams but we need to be patient for his timing. Having a garden large enough to feed other families has been a long time dream of mine, one that I have had since I first discovered my passion for gardening 23 years ago. I big venture and one that would require the help of a team . Now through the years I have owned acreage out in the country but the not everyone wanted to play on the team so 5 years ago I put the dream aside and moved into the city minus the oldest team member. I had resigned myself to the single life with kids and a small lot in a nice subdivision. Well the time came that I started dating , I met people through friends and of course joined a dating web site . Now I met lots of nice men but noone that had my interests .Besides that I wasnt having much luck with that rock hard clay in my backyard. So, One day I laid my head in my hands and prayed to God and asked him to send someone into my life who liked kids and shared one of my interests. The next day I saw him on the dating website , his profile said "enjoys gardening" lives in Bryan. Now the pic was'nt that great but what the heck... at least he might be able to tell me what grows in Bryan soil. So my first correspondance was about gardening and my need for help. Well when people share a passion a friendship develops and a month later we had our first date and about 2 weeks after that I had my hands in his soil and was securing barbed wire on t posts out in Kurten. We got married in his backyard garden ( now ours) 15 months later. I thank God everyday for my husband , who shares my dreams and buys me romantic gifts like a tiller and a pedicure to clean up those garden feet.

No comments: